French director Pascal Caucheteux is the director of production company Why Not Productions.
Pascal Caucheteux was born on March 27, 1961 (Monday) in Vincennes. He is 61 years old in 2022 and his zodiac sign is Aries.
- Eye colour: Black
- Hair color: Pepper and Salt
He is an independent producer who, with Grégoire Sorlat, created, in 1990, a production company called Why Not Productions to finance auteur cinema, of which he is considered the “cornerstone”. “Silent” and discreet, but demanding of directors, he nevertheless sometimes leaves them a margin of freedom in the making of films. This sets it apart from others, especially when it comes to controlled budgets. He participates in the editing and is present with the directors “without fear of losing the balance of power”.
He directed his first film entitled La Vie des Morts by Arnaud Desplechin in 1991. In addition, he has worked on many major projects such as A Prophet (2009), The Brothers and Sisters (2018) and Kings and Queen (2004.)
- 2006: The gold star of French cinema for the producer
- 2009: Daniel Toscan Producer Plantier Prize
- Producer’s French Cinema Gold Star
- Daniel Toscan du Plantier Producer Award
- 2011: Gold star of French cinema for the producer
- 2016: Producer of Daniel Toscan du Plantier
Facts / Anecdotes
- In French cinema, Pascal Caucheteux and his company Why Not Productions have established themselves as one of the major players at 44 years old and 12 feature films to their credit. Besides the high level of artistic rigor, a constant loyalty to original filmmakers like Jacques Audiard, Arnaud Desplechin, Jean-François Richet, and of course Bruno Podalydès has been essential to this success. Gaucheteux, who is currently preparing Le Parfum de la Dame en noir for its theatrical release on November 2 in Belgium under the direction of producer Grégoire Sorlat, talks to us about his work. The French release of Le petit Lieutenant, the latest film Why Not directed by Xavier Beauvois, will take place on November 16.
- Making films that he loves is extremely important to him. For example, he said in an interview that he did Le Parfum because he wanted to do it without worrying about how it would be received abroad. He added,
“Le Parfum… is a very French film. It’s good if it sells internationally, but that hasn’t stopped us from doing so. We produce what we love.
- In general, he likes to collaborate with the same authors and directors.
“We are still loyal to the same authors, so we are going to make another film with Arnaud Desplechin, Jean-François Richet, Jacques Audiard, Xavier Beauvois and Claire Denis. All these projects are in development. We produce real filmmakers who have their own opinions and their own universe.
- French auteur cinema is one of Why Not Production’s main focuses, although the company has also produced films from around the world. Since 2011, the average budget of films produced by Why Not Production has been between five and six million euros.